Thursday 22 July 2010

De-clutter bug

I'm in the grip of a de-cluttering frenzy. I don't quite know how it started - no, actually, I think I do know how it started. It was when the boy and his friend were trying to find something to use as 'pretend snow' the other day (don't ask) and I suggested that the holes from the hole-punch would make good snow. Thence began the search for said hole-punch. It was not in the desk. Not in any of the (4) kitchen drawers - sorry, bottom-less pits - that it could have been in, not under either of the staircases - i.e. general dumping grounds. In fact, after looking in about 10 different places it kind of struck me that perhaps it should not be so difficult to find an item such as a hole-punch. Especially if you have a desk - which is where it should be. Obviously.

The revelation that I am a bit of a clutter-bug has been complete news to me. Being, as I am (or thought I was) a bit of a Bree Van Der Kampf (Desperate Housewives) who is really a desperate Martha Stewart, I was quite sure that clutter was not my style. Until I asked my husband if he thought I was a horder. He sort of looked shiftily sideways and said 'um'. Nuff said. I understand. I get it.

I must admit I was somewhat shocked when I decided that first up, I'd tackle the magazine pile(s). It turns out, I have magazines dating back to July 2007. That's 3 years worth of magazines - say about 3 or 4 a month -!!! Not good. These enormous Tesco bags are too heavy to lift up, actually. I may need assistance getting them into the boot of the car. There was a very slight exclamation about how much money they may have cost us - until I squelched that one right on the head with the mention of the word beer.

Just in case you were wondering, I did of course go through each and every magazine to check that I had cut out anything I wanted to keep. I'm not that daft ;) The question is ... what next? ...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bridget, thanks for your comment. The link does seem to be broken,will try and fix when I'm not so tired.
    It's just a link to my previous post about making the flower into a brooch,and there's a link to the flower pattern.Better go and check that works :0)
    Love your knittning especially the cute teddy!
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the magazine pile problem too, but when you actually just toss them, you don't miss them at all (unlike things like LPs or some clothes)!

    ReplyDelete